From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 15:26:52 -0700
Don Satz wrote:

>Although recordings of Sibelius piano music are not plentiful, I
>was wondering if any list members enjoy his piano works and which
>recordings are most appreciated.  ...  If I remember correctly, BIS
>also put out a cycle of the Sibelius piano works.

The pianist was Erik T. Tawaststjerna, a noted Sibelius scholar at the
Sibelius Academy in Finland.  (Anyone know if he is still with us?  At
least one article I found indicated he had died about 1999-2000.) The
recordings received good reviews back in the 1980s when they were released
(they were recorded from 1979 to 1987).  The complete set includes six
CDs of the original piano music, and two CDs of transcriptions.

I generally enjoy Sibelius' music a great deal, but the piano works
didn't make much of an impression.  Most of the works are short (3-4
minute) piano pieces - bagatelles, morceaux, impromptus, humoresques,
and the like.  About half of the pieces are "characteristic" with titles
like "The Village Church", "The Fiddler", "Winter Scene", "Song in The
Forest", "Spring Vision", etc.  There's an 18-minute piano sonata, and
three sonatinas averaging about 6-7 minutes each.

Interesting in spots, but I haven't gone back to listen to this music
very often - not nearly as often a I have the orchestral or chamber
works.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/