From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:54:36 -0600
The American Choral Directors Association are holding their latest
convention here in New Orleans, and I got to go to a reception for the
visiting firemen.  It was held in a gorgeous home in a neighborhood known
as Uptown.  The interior was not only beautiful, it was comfortable.  I
noted, among other treasures, a 5.5-to-6-foot majolica plant stand.

For a choral groupie like me, it was an occasion for overdose.  I met,
among others, the executive director of the Dale Warland Singers (one
of the best choral groups in the world), Charles Bruffy of the Kansas
City Chorale, John Alexander of L.  A., and the legendary Alice Parker,
who is a treasure and answered all my questions with incredibly good
grace.  I started talking to them about their recordings in, what was
for me, delicious detail.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  It turns
out John Alexander and I overlapped at Oberlin.  We sang in the college
choir together (or, rather, at the same time).  I even remembered his
"million-dollar" organ piece -- Messiaen's "Dieu parmi nous." I also
remembered his girlfriend, but didn't bring it up.

I had a great time.  If only Dale Warland himself, Peter Phillips, Harry
Christophers, Stefan Parkman, Uwe Gronostay, Erwin Ortner, and Marcus
Creed had been there!  Best party I've been to in five years.

Steve Schwartz