From:
Glenn Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:46:29 -0400
Yes, Fanfare attempts to bribe us every time we offer a new CD for review.
We were briefly lucky ...  an influential writer who actively champions
the type of music we record did a few reviews (and pushed them in over
time).  Otherwise, no reviews would have ever resulted for us in Fanfare.

Gramophone has never tried to bribe us, but does not review everything
we release (especially music by John Cage ...  not one of our ongoing
series of Cage's complete Number Pieces for strings and percussion has
been reviewed).

I feel ARG and The Wire (for newer music) are by far the best publications
in this regard ...  even though Don Vroon has his head up his ass in
terms of new music and other areas.

I feel our best overall reviews (not always the most "positive" or ones
I agree with, but the most well written and well researched) have appeared
in Fanfare and The Wire.

Finally, I think the online review sources (MusicWeb, Classical Net,
Sonoloco, etc.) are the best review sources overall ...  objective
reviews, very well written, and more detailed than most print review
sources.

Glenn Freeman
OgreOgress productions (since 1999)
http://ogreogress.home-page.org