From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 02:14:25 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1856)
      Waldszenen, Opus 82

Pavel Jegorov
Sony/Infinity Digital 64386
Recorded 1994
Couplings:
Schumann's Papillons
Schubert's Opus 90 Impromptus
Total Time 70:54
Waldszenen Comparisons: Richter/DG & Arrau/Philips

In Part 1, I reviewed four excellent recordings of the Waldszenen
and concluded that Richter's and Arrau's were my preferred versions.
Richter's was the best of the four, but his 5th and 6th Scenes were too
heavily into the world of legato.  Since Arrau's version was quite good
and much better than the Richter in these two scenes, I also recommended
acquisition of the Arrau.

Now we have the relatively unknown pianist, Pavel Jegorov.  However, I
am familiar with his playing from other recordings on the super-bargain
Infinity Digital label and even recently reviewed his performance of
Schumann's Kinderszenen.  In that review, I gave the reading a strong
recommendation based on Jegorov's innate understanding of Schumann's
psychology.  Further, the man seems to have an instant affinity for
melancholy; he sniffs it out, absorbs it totally, and then conveys it
all incisively to the listener.  One thing is certain - Jegorov has no
intention of giving us 'mainstream' performances.  He thinks his way
through each piece of music, deciding which path will best present the
music based on his insights.  That his music-making can be had at a price
lower than Naxos offerings seals the deal on highly desireable recordings.

I can enthusiastically recommend Jegorov's Waldszenen as well.  Actually,
after the 1st Scene, I was thinking it had the potential to be the best
on record.  Jegorov's 1st Scene is transcendent in that it offers a
religous/sacred atmosphere through a very slow pace with delicous changes
in tempo and dynamics.  He's quite distinctive and also more dramatic than
the much quicker Arrau or Richter.

With the opening of the powerful and desperate 2nd Scene, my expectations
increased even further; Jegorov plays the introduction with an immediate
vengence and with climax notes which rip into the listener.  Unfortunately,
he then gets to blustering as his tension takes a nosedive.  It's like
watching your favorite football team score the first three touchdowns and
subsequently lose the game through lost intensity.

So, the 1st Scene ends up being Jegorov's best, while the 2nd is his
worst.  The other scenes range from excellent to outstanding.  Particularly
memorable are his readings of the unusual 7th Scene and the highly poignant
final Scene; the pacing and intervals Jegorov uses in the 7th Scene almost
rival the magical version from Michel Block.

Don's Conclusions:  Not quite the superlative version that I initially
thought it might be, Jegorov's Waldszenen is a fine achievement deserving
of a strong recommendation along-side the Arrau and Richter recordings.
Further, the two other works on the disc receive fine and idiomatic
performances.  Recorded sound is excellent and quite clear/crisp.  Add
in a very low price tag, and this is a disc to seek out with dedication.

Next up is a Live Classics Waldszenen from the cult figure "Elisso".

Don Satz