From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:31:12 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1857)
     Kinderszenen, Opus 15

Alfred Cortot
Music & Arts 858(2 discs)
Recorded 1945

This Music & Arts 2 disc set is an all-Schumann program with an
impressive list of works:  Kinderszenen, Davidsbundlertanze, Carnaval,
Symphonic Etudes, Papillons, Kreisleriana, Des Abends from the Opus 12
Fantasiestucke, and Vogel Als Prophet from the Opus 82 Waldszenen.  Each
of these Cortot performances is available from other labels; concerning
Kinderszenen, the other labels are Grammophono, Iron Needle, and Piano
Library/Enterprise.

Alfred Cortot is one of the 'giants' of the early 20th century.  Although
most revered for his interpretations of Chopin's piano music, Cortot is
also illuminating and compelling in his Schumann performances.

In Kinderszenen, the basic challenge is to blend Schumann's adult and
child emotions and thoughts, and nobody does a better job than Cortot in
providing a complete representation of the two themes.  Pick any scene and
it's clear that Cortot has absorbed the full spectrum of emotional themes.

Before diving into specific interpretations, I should relate that the sound
quality of this electrical recording is quite good.  Yes, there is plenty
of 'crackle', but it is not overwhelming and won't interfere with listening
enjoyment except for those who are more concerned with sound quality than
performance features.  Most important, the piano tone has fine color and
the soundstage allows for sufficient projection, even in the softest
passages.

Cortot's "Foreign lands and people" reminds me of the exceptional
Moiseiwitsch recording with its emphasis on poignancy in the descending
lines, although I do prefer Moiseiwitsch's stronger left hand.  Cortot
gives just the right wide-eyed and youthful wonder to "Curious Story",
and "Catch me" is quite vigorous even though Cortot has his moments of
soft projection.

With the 4th Scene and through the Postlude, Cortot just keeps getting
better.  I consider the trio of Scenes 8 thru 10 to be the best on record.
"By the fireside" has never been so pleasingly playful as in Cortot's
hands, and "Knight of the hobby-horse" has a joyous optimism which is
infectious.  In "Almost too serious" the mix of melancholy, urgency,
and resignation makes strong imprints on my soul.

Overall, this is definitely one of the best versions of Kinderszenen
on record.  To me, Cortot's advantages consist of penetrating emotions,
great playfulness, and supreme optimism.  Add in his usual mastery of
articulation and pacing, and we have a must-buy situation.

When looking at the entire 2 disc set, I consider it essential as well.
I'll be covering other works on the set at later dates, but suffice it to
say that Cortot knew his Schumann and was an outstanding artist.  This set
gives us one package loaded with great Schumann works; most other Cortot
recordings have only one or two Schumann compositions, so you would have to
take the 'multiple route' to obtain what Music & Arts provides in one set.

Don's Conclusions:  I'm kicking myself for not having this Cortot set in
previous years, and I can only urge you to find out what an outstanding set
it is.

As an aside, the more I listen to historical recordings from fantastic
performers, the less I empathize with those insisting on state of the
art sound.  Historical recordings are much more than a window to the past;
they are a window to illumination and enlightenment which extends into the
future.

Don Satz