From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 22:29:19 -0500
Pablo Massa  to Mike Leghorn:

>>Do an experiment: play together the "basso" (Beethoven) and the Mozart
>>theme, and sing at the same time the first four bars of the Rondo of
>>Mozart's 3rd Violin Concerto (one measure per note).
>
>uups.. I meant the Rondo of the 5th Violin Concerto. Sorry, Mike.

I agree, the Rondo starts with the same harmonic pattern as the finales
to the Jupiter and Eroica (after the frantic intro).  Thanks for pointing
that out.  I'm open to the idea that this harmonic pattern is common, but
I'm still impressed by the similarities between the Eroica and Jupiter
finales, because of the additional similarity of the 4-note motif (and
another similarity that I pointed out back when we were first discussing
this topic).

Still clinging (perhaps not as doggedly) to a crazy idea,

Mike