From:
David Rothstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 18:17:44 +0200
Recently Len Mullenger advised us how to purchase the Barshai/JDP
Mahler 5.  Although business and personal obligations prevent me from
contributing regularly to this list, I always follow and read the mails
and this was one example of how I benefited from the information.  I tried,
unsuccessfully in the past to purchase this disk as it was high in the
recommendations of Tony Duggan (who's opinions I value highly and have
yet to be disappointed).  I listened to it yesterday and indeed it was
a superb performance and superbly recorded.  Afterwards I listened to
the other famous expansive performance of Mahler's 5 by Barbirolli.On
the whole I prefer the Barshai however in my view Barbirolli's final
coda still surpasses.

One request.  How can I obtain another elusive recommendation of T.
Duggan's, namely Thomas Sandeling's Mahler 6? It seems to be out of stock
in all the main Internet websites I purchase from.

Thanks

David Rothstein
Israel