From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 05:20:35 -0300
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>:

>Pablo Massa wrote:
>
>>Francisco Barbosa writes:
>>[...]
>>>Verdi one is a piece quite different from all the others.
>>
>>Curious. I find Verdi's Requiem much more "Catholic" than Faure's.
>
>And that's really curious, because Verdi was an atheist.

However, he depicted the Last Judgement as if he actually believed in it...
Verdi's Requiem is much more "tormented" than Faure's.  Both Faure's and
Brahms' works gives me a peaceful impression; they transmit a sort of
confidence that after death there's a restful Heaven ("Selig sind die toten
die in den Herren Sterben"), rather than a judging God ("Dies Irae", etc.).
Perhaps it's just a matter of where is the emphasis placed on.

Pablo Massa