From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 17:44:15 -0400
Geoffrey Gaskell wrote:

>Xenakis, for example, was also an excellent mathematician,

Xenakis wasn't a mathematician at all, let alone an excellent one.  He
learned some mathematics while studying engineering, but his "Musiques
formelles" shows, unfortunately, that his mathematical thinking wasn't
very clear.  (De mortuis etc.)

Frankly, the book would need to be completely rewritten to be useful,
and that despite of the two English-language editions which faithfully
reproduce all the errors in his formulas.

>not surprisingly, & could have become a great architect. [...]

I'm not sure why "not surprisingly", especially that he wasn't at all.
But I agree that he could have become a great architect.

-Margaret Mikulska