From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:10:33 -0500
Len Fehskens wrote:

>Karl Miller writes:
>
>>If responding to listener's "wants" is the point...then I don't see that
>>it should qualify for tax exempt status.
>
>So you have annoy listeners to be tax exempt? I thought it was determined
>by a non-profit business model.

Yes indeed it is, and as I was told when applying for tax exempt status for
my record company...yes we were successful...that it had to fufill other
criteria...one justification being educational.

Of course "it pays to advertize" even if one is a non-profit, however,
tailoring your product to attract a market, seems to me to be a profit
motive.  Therein rests my concern.

My other concern is the content.  I rarely find anything unique about the
offerings of public radio.  Why should they not go commercial?

Karl