From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:54:21 -0500
Reading some liner notes I came across the following curious passage:

   "...in 1942 Milhaud in an article entitled 'Why I Love Gounod and
   Verdi,' expatiated on the value of the 'Latin tradition' maintained
   by these two composers in the face of 'the most implacable assault'
   from Wagner. Like Stravinsky, Milhaud believed that 'endless melody'
   was a contradiction in terms."

I found this curious because its two parts don't seem to connect.  I
view the "Latin tradition" as a largely melodic one; certainly Verdi's
music is full of memorable melody.  And I can appreciate the assault on
such a tradition from the harmonically dense music of Wagner.  And I can
see where Stravinsky would be coming from in his statement given the
rhythmic emphasis and short units in his music.  What I can't see is how
they all fit together.  Where am I wrong in my assumptions, or what am I
missing?

Ed