From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:28:07 -0500
Christopher Webber writes;

>I thought a comparative review of classic recordings of the work might help
>other listeners hear the wood for the trees of 4'33".  It has been a taxing
>undertaking to narrow the field down to five major contenders, but here
>goes ...

Indeed Christopher has performed a real public service, although I regret
that he chose not to include the Larry Adler arrangement for harmonica.
More significantly, he missed an admittedly obscure performance by Feruccio
Busoni, at a concert in Inner Outer Mongolia in 1912.  Keen observers will
note that this performance occurred before Cage composed the work.  The
story is an interesting one.  Busoni was somewhat indisposed, perhaps as a
result of consuming too much of the excellent locally produced yogurt.  He
started his performance exactly 4'33" after the announced time.  The piano
on which he performed was a player piano, and the intention was to record
the concert on that medium.  Fortuitously the recording paper tape was
activated AT THE ANNOUNCED STARTING TIME OF THE PERFORMANCE.  Years later,
the transfer from player piano tape to cd was carried out flawlessly.
Unhappily some functionary at the studio mistook the cds for blanks, and
recorded over the Cage masterpiece- all except for one copy,,which is in my
possession.  Collectors have offered me quite large sums for this gem, but
I choose not to sell.  If I change my mind I will give first opportunity to
members of this list.

Bernard Chasan