From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:18:26 -0300
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>:

>I am particulary interested in the way several living composers have used
>quotations from Wagner in their works.

Bruckner's 7th, 2rd movement, bars 1-4.  There's a quote of Sigfried's
Death motive.  The first two bar's aren't a literal quotation, but you may
replace the melody of the violas by the Sigfried's Death motive in c sharp
minor: the harmonic scheme (I-VI+7) fits very well, until the beginning of
bar 2 (G sharp would be necessary instead of A).  Since the last beat of
bar 2, the quotation is almost literal.  Oh, now I recall that you asked
for living composers....  Damn!

Another case (though there's no literal quoting) is...  John Williams'
music for "Star Wars".  Isn't the motive of "The Force" very similar
(almost identical rhytmic structure) to Sigfried's Death motive?.

>Obviously, Wagner has cast a long shadow, for good or ill!

Agree!!!...

Pablo Massa