From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 06:28:17 -0700
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> When I stuck the twig into the dead larvae it was just as ropey, the
color
> was the same, and the stink, as you know, isn't something one smells
> everywhere in nature :-). The scale at the bottom of the cell is also
the
> same.

 The virus -killed brood associated with varroa(PMS?) tends to die in the
later stages of developement,often just before emergence.I've checked for
ropiness with the twig,and it doesnt string out like AFB.No scale,just dead
brood loose in the cell.No strong AFB smell either.The bees do try to uncap
it,so you will see chewed cappings ,but the adult bees are dieing so fast
they cant keep up with it.The general appearence doesnt really look like
AFB either,the cappings arent dark and sunken.So...If it looks like
AFB,smells like AFB,its probably AFB(especially in California)
-------Mike