From:
Martin Damus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:32:27 -0500
Where I work (on a several hundred acre plot of cropland between Ottawa and a southern suburb) I have seen a very vigorous feral colony in the end of a very old Manitoba Maple branch that has, I have been told, been there for many years.  Early this winter unfortunately something found it and pulled a lot of it out.  In Kingston (Ontario) I saw several feral colonies living in tree holes along city streets.  All colonies had comb built.  A colleague at work keeps what amounts to feral bees - two colonies that he has never treated for anything.  How he keeps them alive is a mystery, since he does very little actual bee work apart from supering and collecting the honey.  Unfortunately, as these things go, a bear ripped out one this fall.  Maybe he had some good genes in there.  Also near Kingston I found a feral colony in a local recreational park that was up until 50 years ago a working farm.  The colony was in the trunk of a very large maple that must have been one of the pride trees of the farmyard.

As for techniques - look up, as the friendly giant used to say, look way way up.  I spot feral colonies by poking into every tree hole I can get to and staring at those I can't.  It's a fun way to be late for class (university or otherwise), I've found.  Old city trees are a good place to look, it seems.  Forests around here are too young to have nice half-dead trees with good holes, unless they have old farm trees in them.

Cheers,
Fellow bee-spotter Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/31/02 08:47PM >>>
I spent a few hours last fall hunting (lining) bees. Havn't found a feral
colony yet but I'm hooked on the sport. Perhaps this year I will find my
first "wild" hive.

Do any of you have experiences, stories, techniques you would like to share?

Thanks
John