Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:57:42 -0600
Hello All,
The closing of bee labs in part is coming from long term projections  for a huge reduction in commercial beekeeping in the U.S.  over the next ten years. Let me explain?  The projections made by economists about the future of U.S. beekeeping ten years ago have came true. The most recent prediction of gloom and doom came from the excellent lecture given by world renown economist and sideline beekeeper     Dr. Gary Shilling  of Springfield, NJ. The title of the lecture was:
"The Future of American Beekeeping: *Protectionism or Productivity*  and was the first in hopefully a long line of lectures made possible by A. I. Root company.
I agree with everything Dr. Shilling said but wished he would have been even more blunt so as to wake up those beekeepers asleep during the lecture.
I have been informed by Barry Birkey that tapes  of the various ABF convention lectures will not be made available this year.
I realize the ABF is afraid if beekeepers can buy the tapes then they will not attend. Many beekeepers do not attend for many reasons and I believe the tapes should be made available  so those missing the convention can hear the many lectures.
The next two big problems pointed out by Dr. Shilling are:
1. Protectionism WILL NOT protect the American Beekeeper from the problem of low price foreign honey.
A recent example of Dr. Shillings prediction is the move as I write  by the Bush administration to expand NAFTA  to include most of South America including Argentina.

2.It is easy to mark each point in beekeeping history when commercial beekeepers numbers have been reduced. The next mark is coming over the next 2-to 3 years when coumaphos resistance ravages  commercial operations and varroa  raises its ugly head again as pointed out by Dr. Shilling in his lecture. Nectar sources can always be found by the migratory U.S. beekeeper BUT when hive losses mount to the 50% range neither honey can be produced or bees  rented for pollination in amounts needed to keep the business solvent.
On a final note: Dr. Shilling keeps around 50 hives of bees and gives all his honey away as Christmas presents  and enjoys beekeeping and expects to be unaffected by the changes in beekeeping other than surviving varroa.
Going back to the bee lab closings  the congressinal committees SEE the American beekeeping industry is getting smaller and believe research should be reduced. Sadly the opposite is needed. Contact your representative and let your feelings be noted.
www.sentate.gov   or  www.house.gov
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison