From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 22:35:22 -0500
Don Satz wrote:

>However, it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  "Group identity"
>creates the discrimination, then it is used to correct the discrimination.
>Where does it end? Regardless of the source, we create and maintain
>judgements of individuals based on their identity as part of a particular
>group - that is not good.  At its worst extreme, this process results in
>genocide.

Whoa, Don!  I don't see the connection between performing music and
"genocide" -- granted that that word is being thrown around somewhat
loosely these days out in the real world, too.

If I might presume to speak for an organization I really don't know
anything about, I assume that they concentrate on performing music written
by women not because they want to suggest that women's compositions are
generally better than men's, or that the compositions they choose are
excellent just because women wrote them.  Rather, they are simply trying to
do their part to even up the odds that music by women -- a group that I am
sure we all can agree has been grossly neglected in the CM world for a long
time -- will get as much attention as music by men.  I don't see anything
like "reverse discrimination" in that.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]