From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:23:30 +0100
David Harbin wrote:

>Dear All, Did anyone else hear the Rattle Mahler 8 live from the Proms
>last week? If you live in the UK and missed it don't worry too much as
>it will be on TV BBC1 on September 1st.

i Heard & enjoyed it, despite the fact that it joins the list of
favourite pieces of mine that the _Independent on Sunday_'s music critic
says I shouldn't like.  It brought back happy memories of performing the
symphony in Bath a couple of years ago!  I am now kicking myself because
I think I was invited to sing (an invitation went out to members of the
CUMS chorus to join in a Mahler 8 this summer with rehearsals in London
and Birmingham).  I would have jumped at the chance - or maybe there
was another Mahler 8?

I went to a Prom a couple of weeks ago, BBC SSO with the main work being
'The Bells' by Rachmaninov.  I don't think I'd be so keen to sing this as
the choir parts sounded rather dull to me.  Were any other listers there?
I used to run a page where members of the list could submit details of
performances in Britain they were intending to go to, so we could look out
for one another or get an account afterwards of what it was like.  It was
never used much and lapsed, but I could set it up again, as there seem to
be more people in Britain on the list these days.

Virginia Knight
Personal homepage: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html