From:
Roger Bogda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:47:22 -0400
Gilbert Kaplan is in Miami for several days to conduct M2 (what else?) with
the University of Miami orchestra.  He gave a lecture last night, nothing
any Mahler Maniac didn't already know but very well presented with music
and slides, etc.  Chatted with him briefly before hand regarding the state
of classical music on the radio, he is on the board of WNYC.  Looking at
the demographics, they have decided to place classical in the evenings,
giving way to talk during the day.  The logic is that they can focus on
interesting selections in the evening.

Interesting point as most of classical usage during the day, at least by
the legions of the unwashed, is as background music in offices.  This can
only re-enforce what was stated in the Atlantic article, mood music, etc.

Groupie that I am, I had him autograph my M2 CD booklets!

For those in the area, the performances will be Saturday eve at 8:00 and
Sunday at 3:00, both at Gusman Hall on the University of Miami campus.

As we are in the midst of the end d of the season flurry of concerts, I
already have another event on Saturday so I will be attending the Sunday
performance.

Roger Bogda