From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:23:38 -0400
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Obviously, the MSO has become much stronger in the repertoire that Dutoit
>favors but at the expense of much of the central repertoire which Dutoit
>has little affinity for.

For example, the 19th century Austrian/German repertoire, which is far
from being marginal ;-)

>Trying to get the pulse on the orchestra members' views about Dutoit's
>departure is probably a waste of time.  These views will differ, and
>the departure is happening anyways.

You are right: we shall be be optimistic and think about the future of
this great orchestra!  Hopefully, the MSO will hire a conductor who has a
very different style than Dutoit.  That is why I mentioned the great David
Zinman...  A few other names have been mentioned in the newspapers: Talmi,
Tortelier, Krivine, etc.  It seems that the MSO board wants to keep some
sort of "French identity".  Personnaly, I think they should choose a young
and charismatic conductor, not someone who will necessarily play the same
works as Dutoit!

Daniel