From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 06:33:34 +1100
I've just seen The Yards, a very well-made and well-acted film set in New
York, with music by Howard Shore, as the credits say at the end.  Buried
in the list of various songs that are used in the film is the news that
the music includes Saturn from Holst's The Planets, and in fact, it's used
a great deal throughout the film, almost as a sort of leitmotif.  It's
only a few minutes from the end of Saturn, but it adds effectively to the
atmosphere, and is played by the London Philharmonic conducted by Shore.

My point is that Holst gets far less credit than Shore does, and is
relegated to the same status as the several hundred other people who were
peripherally connected with the film.  I suppose he's lucky to get a credit
at all: too often someone's music is quietly lifted without any mention
of the fact.  By comparison, French films routinely list the CM used in
exhaustive detail, which is, I think, as it should be.  Or doesn't it
matter?

Richard Pennycuick