From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:34:00 -0800
Mary Powers ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>...  Anyway, it seems to me that if you get that pissed off about a little
>crowd noise, you shouldn't be there anyway.  or make everyone else stay
>home and then the classical music industry will really go to hell!

Sorry, but you really lose me here.  It's OK for people to make noise and
ruin others' enjoyment? You say you don't go to concerts, so you obviously
have no conception of the long-drawn-out agony of listening to somebody
try to unwrap a cough sweet quietly.  Or the people whose watches chime
the hour.  Or the people whose cell-phones rign (and I've even seen one
answered during a performance!)

I've seen ads in cinemas asking people not to be noisy and disrupt other
peoples' enjoyment.

>Someone make the case for me that with this attitude, there's "value added"
>- obnoxious bureaucrat term - in going to a concert vs.  just buying the
>CD, or listening to a live concert being broadcast over the radio.

Have you ever been to a live concert? It doesn't sound like it, or you
wouldn't be asking this question.

There is no substitute.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)