Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:10:35 +1000
From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Deryk Barker:

>And then there was Jon Lord's "Concerto for Rock Group and
>Orchestra"....

I remember going quietly mad when a friend played it to me for the first
time many years ago, and I battled to guess the composer because there
were so many apparent borrowings.  All of this was before the group started
playing and I realised I'd been conned.  I was even more surprised to find
that the conductor was Malcolm Arnold, who'd also had a hand in the
orchestration.  I believe a new recording of this piece is in the pipeline.
There was a successor called, IIRC, Gemini Suite.

A long-term favourite of mine in similar vein is Laurie Johnson's
"Synthesis" which attempts to combine jazz with CM and to some extent
succeeds.  I was pleased to be able to replace my copy recently from
Berkshire's offerings.

Richard Pennycuick