Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:52:13 -0400
From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Your list is an interesting mix of various styles.  And as you say, the
>chance of hearing almost any of the orchestral works played by an American
>symphony orchestra is not very large.  In my mind the standard repertory is
>absurdly narrow, but the counterargument is simply yhat the audience likes
>its Beethoven and Brahms, and that is all there is to it.

I'm convinced that the audience would fall in love with Baird's Four
Sonnets or Pizzetti's orchestral works (which I discovered this weekend!).
I think that the best way to actually integrate "little known works" in
the current programming is to organize some concerts around historical,
national or literary themes.  In a concert of "Modern Polish music", you
can play Szymanovski and Penderecki, but also Baird and Bacewitz...

>Be thankful for recordings.

Yes, especially "independant labels" such as Chandos, Hyperion, Bis and
Naxos/Marco Polo!

P.S.: The Hyperion CD devoted to the orchestral music of Pizzetti is just
great! In some ways, Pizzetti's music is as interesting as Respigni's...
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/67084.asp

Daniel B