Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:51:54 -0800
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Mark Landson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>My main problem with classical music of the last 100 years (for the most
>part) is that it does not reflect a philosophy or worldview which appeals
>to me or to most of the other people who are its audience.  And THAT's
>why CM is in bad shape - because no one has gained attention that has
>articulated an aesthetic vision which is relevant today, and the past
>visions which were relevant in their times are fading in relevancy with
>each passing decade.

Your complaint is not an uncommon one - but it does ignore the fact that
the "classical music" of the 20th century was more varied that any previous
century in our history.  Just think: Rachmaninoff was composing at the
same time as Webern; Vaughan Williams was still composing while Stockhausen
et al were "boldly going" in Darmstadt.

Moreover, I'm not quite sure how music composed in the 17th and 18th
centuries can possibly "refelect a philosophy or worldview" held by any
significant number of people today.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)