Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:57:34 -0600
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Ed Zubrow:

>Picked up a bargain disc of Schubert Part-Songs for Men's Choir.  ...
>
>Having listened to it I am ambivalent.  Some seem to work extremely well.
>In others, frankly, it sounds like Songs of the Red Army.
>
>Anyone have experience of this aspect of Schubert's output?

I've sung a couple of the more nature-contemplative ones.  Very simple and
straightforward.  I enjoyed them (and wish we had performed them better).
This is actually a genre which most Romantic composers practiced.  There
are also some fine examples by Mendelssohn, Schumann, Berlioz, and Brahms.
No, they're not often done or recorded.

Steve Schwartz