From:
Thomas Culliney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:05:56 -1000
Mackensen (Journal of Economic Entomology 36(3): 465-467; 1943) found virgin
Italian and Caucasian queens to produce a small percentage (probably no more
than 1%) of female offspring (i.e., workers). He conceded, however, the
possibility that the queens tested may have contained "some African blood"
(e.g., from Egyptian and Punic races) as bees of African as well as Middle
Eastern origin had been introduced into the U.S. during the 1800s.