From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:38:06 -0800

> Bill said:
>
> I appreciate the intent of a global perspective, but, as I like to say,
> all beekeeping is local. I only have to note the difference of opinion
> on AFB to know that it would be near impossible to get any global
> consensus in beekeeping.
>
> Hi Bill and all,

 Over the years I have enjoyed reading posts from all over the world. One
thing that always stands out , what worked in one area may not work as well
someplace else.
 Part of the problem is the Genotype of the bees themselves.Behavior is hinged
on the environment that the bee exists in at the moment. So what I could be
seeing in my bees could be much different that what Bill is seeing in Maine.
You don't have to go far from home to see differences in behavior and
environment. I have a friend that lives just 70 miles north of me and we can
be at different stages of spring build up every year. We just had a shift 2
years ago and my weather down here is better ( less rain) than what he gets up
north. We still face the same problems, mites and AFB, ects. but timing is
different for our treatments if any. One week of warmer clear air makes a
great difference in spring build up here in Washington state. I keep my bees
for wintering just 10 feet above sea level on Hood canal. That gives them a
one week jump start ahead of bees that I would keep at home , just 9 miles
away and up 500 feet. My main point is simple, beekeeping is done in your hive
in its location. We all face the same general problems but we may have to
solve them in a little different way, do to our environment.
  I look out the window and see snow falling. That will change a few of my
plans for this next week for the bees at home. ( Breeder Queens) The bees down
at the water will not see snow and it will be 10 F warmer.  I did check all of
my bees for stores last week and had to put some honey on a few of them. Not
all Queens shut down in the winter. I have 4 with wall to wall bees. That is
not normal in the Russians.
 We need to share information which may help others. We must stay on top of
our bees in our hives. One should not jump into anything until they think it
over very well and match it up to there environment and the bees they keep.
Best Regards
Roy
Tahuya Wa. US