From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:50:12 -0700
> > I'm looking for a source of Brewers Yeast and Soy Flour in 25 to 50 lb.
> bags or drums as ingredients for pollen substitute.

> I would use brewers yeast for a substitute and to get bulk supply I would
> call up animal food warehouses. Those that sell feed for horses usually
sell
> it in large quantities. People who raise animals will use it to supplement
> the feed.

That is not necessarily the brewers yeast that a beekeeper can use.  Many of
these, especially cheap ones contain corn and other nutrients upon which the
yeast was raised and are too low in protein to be much help.  The additional
components may actually be harmful.  You want pure brewers yeast. It should
cost about 50c US a pound in 50 pound bags in skid lots.  The manufacturer
of BEEPOL also has yeast, and produce it in Texas, but say they are sold out
for this year.

I have info on pollen patty making and yeast at
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/Misc/Pollen/MakePollenPatties.htm

and, of course a search from
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/Misc/Pollen/MakePollenPatties.htm
using brewer yeast as a key and substring checked will give you 68 hits,
many of which may be valuable.

We have discussed yeast and patties fairly thoroughly here on BEE-L (but we
still could use any more good info anyone has) and this is one case where a
search of the archives could save someone headaches from getting the wrong
stuff.

allen