HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:52:44 -0400
"Uranium" glass is indeed glass with uranium added in tiny quantities to
create a transluscent opaqueness for ornamental objects. Antique dealers
often display ornamental glass with black lights to show the uranium glow. I
always ask if it is dangerous, but they all believe it is not. However, when
living as a 7-year old boy in Long Beach, California I recall several of the
neighbor kid's fathers having received radiation poisoning on their thighs
from uranium paint on their field compasses (which they suspended from their
web belts). Those soldiers were told the radiation was not harmful. And, of
course, the U.S. Army marched an entire battalion of soldiers toward a
nuclear blast in the 1950s to test for harmful effects. So, I dont really
believe uranium glass is not harmful.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.