HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LOCKHART BILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:00:13 -0700
A colleague asked me this question, and I did not have an answer.
Maybe one (or more) of you can help.

Bill

I have a technical question that I hope that you can help me with. We
recently hired a biologist who has done a lot of archaeology work with
Neil Ackerly. She has spent most of her archaeology time working with
material from historic mines in New Mexico. She mentioned a type of
glass that she says is very common from the mines called "uranium"
glass. She described it as bright orange or red--the color is the
result of adding uranium to the glass batch. I have never run across
this particular term and am not sure that I have ever seen what she
calls "uranium" glass. I asked if she had, or whether she knew if Neil
had, a reference for this glass, preferably primary. Can you shed some
light on this "translucent" subject for me? Renee was going to contact
Neil but has not had a chance to do this and I thought that this would
be right up your alley. Look forward to hearing from you.