HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
georgejmyersjr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:27:45 -0500
I don't think you should throw him off. A.L. Kroeber (whose daughter is the
award winning woman sci-fi writer Ursula LeGuin) had "Ishi" "the last
Californian Indian that had no contact with Americans" (probably a hoax as
photos may show, his brain was taken unbeknownst to Kroeber on his death and
recently returned for reburial, Kroeber known for the theoretical
"superorganic"  like Teilhard de Chardin's "noosphere" [maybe wanted for
"Piltdown"] and Carl G. Jung's "collective unconscious") wrote or edited the
California section of the Handbook of North American Indians if my memory
serves me right, in which there is a section on the Chumash , their
sweathouses (planked-like) and their belief in the precognition of dogs of
earthquakes. This coupled with the fairly recent linguistic study of the
west coast of North America (from Oxford U. I think and another woman
author) which suggests that the linguistic groupings of the coast are very
different from any in the interior language, suggests that the Ruth Benedict
model of Apollo/Dionysian character types still holds and probably should be
extended to the Chumash.

George