HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John R Hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:24:20 +1100
Leah touches on the principle involved in charcoal burning engines when she
says that the charcoal manufactured was suitable for the gas producer fitted
to cars and trucks.
As I recall conversations with an ex-truckdriver the charcoal was used
somehow to produce a gas which was used to replace petrol as a fuel. Excuse
the senior moment but I cannot recall how the gas was produced but I do
remember the driver telling me the gas producer often broke down, usually
outside a pub and wouldn't start up again until almost knock off time. A
coincidence of course!!
John