HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:35:18 -0400
The Illinois Glass Company was founded in 1873 (McKearin and Wilson,
"American Bottles and Flasks and Their Ancestry," Crown Publishers, New
York, p. 691).  However, prior to1900, their bottles were embossed "IG" or
"IGCo", according to my sources.  I don't have the Snyder reference.  The
situation is made a bit more murky by the existence of the Ihmsen Glass
Company of Pittsburgh, which had the logo "I.G.Co." without the diamond
(Griffenhagen and Bogard, "History of Drug Containers and Their Labels,"
Publ. by the American Institute of the History of Pharmacy, Madison,
Wisconsin, 1999, p. 124.).

Allen Vegotsky