HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:19:55 -0400
In a similar vein, has anyone checked their "patent medicine" bottles for
radioactivity? Some products contained radium as a curative. Madame Curie
herself was given a lump of pitchblende to hang on her neck before the
dangers of radioactivity were fully known. The French Academy recently (?
I'm getting old) disinterred her coffin and put it in the center of the
Academy if I remember. Anyway, tell those bottle collectors to carry a
geiger counter with them 'ya never know.

George Myers