HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Julie Schablitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:54:30 -0700
Actually, I have successfully recovered low and/or degraded amounts of morphine
from a glass syringe from the late 1860s-early 1870s.  The problem with old
morphine is that it breaks down.  It took many saturdays in the forensic lab to
design and run the gas chromatograph mass spec test to recover such low amounts
of morphine (produced through adding heat and cold). Forensic labs are not set
up to deal with old samples.

I was hoping to hear more success stories about morphine recovery.  I have been
unable to find any information on how it breaks down outside of the body as
well.

THanks.

Julie