HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:39:43 -0400
Hi Julie,

I don't know of any studies on recovery of morphine from archaeological
sites and I suspect there wouldn't be much in the literature.  But your best
bet might be contacting crime labs, perhaps the FBI lab.  The key question
is how long does it take morphine to break down in the soil.  The anaerobic
environment in the soil might be expected to prolong the "lifetime" of
morphine.  On the other hand, soil microbes will digest most organic
substances and probably morphine- maybe they get "high"?

Allen Vegotsky