HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 16:45:50 -0500
At 03:07 PM 5/6/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Tremont doesn't just have cut nails, it has much of the very antique
>machinery that made nails being excavated today, and it uses some of those
>old machines yet today. It was a living example of early manufacturing
>technology still operating at the original site.

Well, yes and no....

While Tremont has been in continous operation for a long time, their works
have undergone a series of changes over the years. One of the citations I
spit out in my previous e-mail mentioned the switch from exclusively water
power to combined steam in the 1920s. They continue to evolve today. See
for example:

http://www.e-ci.com/success/shears_tremont.html

Don't get me wrong, I love the Tremont folks, I'm glad they're still at it
and I hope the never give it up. They do use many of their original 19th
century machines, which from the correspondences I've had with them require
a heck of a lot of work to maintain all those parts that wear out over
time. I'm sure it's nothing less than a labor of love. Tremont is the only
place in the world where you can  still watch those old machines crank'em out.

I guess I'm just saying that I'd try to view such industries as more of an
organic and changing animal than a "frozen in time" picture of 1819
american nail manufacture.

Maybe this is another one for the "myths" category....

Dave

David Moyer, RPA
Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist
700 Clinton Street Building