HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:17:57 -0500
Grits came from the Native Americans. It's ground hominy. Interestingly
grits only successfully transferred to Italy and Spain (polenta). There was
an excellent paper delivered at the 1990 AAA on the failure of  certain food
technologies to transfer or survive. Grits is interesting because the
washing of the corn in lye helps release iron in the grain, making it
healthier in the diet. Much of the pellagra in the South before iron
supplements came from eating exclusively corn meal products and little else.

John Dendy