HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Henry Cary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:14:45 +0000
Hello,
I am grad student currently writing my thesis on the 1752 Moravian mission
house site of Hoffnungsthal, in northern Labrador.  The house is a classic
German flurkuchenhaus with a central chimney and divided into a large
kitchen on the south and two smaller rooms on the north. Inside the stone
foundations we uncovered a feature of six bricks arranged in a circular
pattern with an internal diameter of about 10 cm.  The brick feature is
close to the north-east corner of the house (on the opposite end of the
house from the kitchen/hearth opening).  I think it might be a post-hole,
but its pretty small and what's it doing in that corner of the house?  Does
anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

Henry Cary
Archaeology Unit