HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John R Hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:23:59 +1100
A quick glance through my bookshelf came up with the following titles that
relate to continuing contact between the invaders and the invaded in
Australia.
They are in no particular order and many are out of print (some rightfully
so).
Some are fiction, some are fictionalized accounts of real events and some
are popular accounts of contact.

Herbert, Xavier 1938 Capricornia Angus and Robertson, Sydney. Republished
several times since
Stuart, Donald 1959 Yandy Australasian Book Society, Melbourne
  1961 The Driven Australasian Book Society, Sydney
  1963 Yaralie Australasian Book Society, Sydney
de Grys, Francy 1961 Cobba-Cobba Rigby, Adelaide
Idriess, Ion 1946 Man Tracks: with the mounted police in Australian wilds
Angus and Robertson, Sydney.
Prichard, Katherine Susannah 1959 N'goola and other stories Australasian
Book Society, Melbourne.
Gunn, Aeneas Mrs 1948 The Little Black Princess Robertson & Mullins,
Melbourne.
Watkins, Wal 1972 Andamooka Gold Star Publications, Hawthorn
Mann, Leonard 1963 Venus Half-Caste Hodder & Stroughton, London

And don't forget Authur Upfield's Inspector Napolean Bonaparte Mystery
series, first published by Wm. Heinemann and re-issued by Pan Books in
which, interwoven with some intriguing detective stories, is the reoccurring
theme of the danger of the 'civilised' 'half-caste' reverting back to the
savagery of his mother's people.  (Funny how it was always the mother's side
was the savages, I presume the idea of a white woman bearing the child of a
black man was so repugnant that it was not even contemplated in the popular
literature. Of course in Australia in the 1960s there was at least one
swimming pool closed to Aborigines by the local council partly on the
grounds of the danger of semen leaking from an Aboriginal male into the
water and impregnating all the innocent white girls)
John