HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 23:35:17 -0400
Pebbles also appear in other contexts which
may not be understood or appreciated. I was
surveying on a floodplain in SW VA, flat as a
pancake, no slight undulations or other
indications. Surface visibility was 100%,
plowed field, rained on, etc. I said as I
walked, "I'm going to find a site now" and
within 3 paces the first piece of debitage
appeared. I stopped in my tracks, reversed
course and walked back to where I made the
statement. Then turned 90 degrees to the line
of travel and looked left and then right. The
only difference was that the area where the
site was located was where there were small
pea sized gravels. Gravel density was about
5/square meter or so. Back along the track,
the area was devoid of gravels, and outside
the site was also devoid of gravels. Since
then, I have noted similar situations where
pea gravels are where sites are located.

There was no apparent geological origin such
as a gravel bar which had been plowed into
and mixed with topsoil and in any event, pea
gravels are not all that commonly found as a
group.

At least the pebbles in the cemeteries can be
researched.

Lyle