HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:11:57 -0500
From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Andrew,

I have not found a reference to "Thomson and Renger" in any of my reference
books so I suspect the bottle was uncommon and in use for only a short
duration.  The description suggests a beer/ale or perhaps a soda.  Your
bottle was embossed "ROCHESTER PA".  Rochester, PA is a small town about
15-20 miles northwest of Leetsdale where the bottle was found.  I did find a
reference to a brewery that existed in Beaver Falls, PA from 1891-1893 and
was owned by Bernard Rengers.  (Dale Van Wieren, "American Breweries II,"
Eastern Coast Brewiana Assoc., West Point, PA,1995, p. 301).  I think
Bernard Rengers may be related to Thomson & Renger, because Beaver Falls is
less than 10 miles from Rochester and small-time brewers frequently formed
and changed partnerships at the time.  A reference librarian in a Rochester
library or the local historical society might have access to a Town
Directory listing Thomson and Renger.  Good luck

Allen Vegotsky