HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:07:19 +1100
From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Oh dear.

I seem to have rediscovered my latent talent for opening up cans of worms.

Joking aside (and Ned Heite, you forgot the International Criminal Court),
the last time we had this metric - Imperial discussion (for 'Imperial' is
what much of the rest of the world calls what Americans insist on referring
to as 'English'), which was only last year, I seem to remember arguing....

A) Since almost all of the rest of the world has converted to metric (the UK
has a special exemption from the EU for road miles and pints of beer only),
the rigid use of Imperial measures by many US historical archaeologists
often to make US historical archaeology less accessible to students and
professionals in the metric majority of the world.  I've had several
Australian students who've recently found this to be a problematic issue.

B) That said, I fully accept the argument that it can be helpful for
historical archaeologists to measure artefacts (note the correct un-American
spelling) according to their original unit of construction for technical
purposes.  Any discrepancy between the need to use metric or Imperial in
technical reports is easily addressed by using both: stating the measurement
in metric, and then putting the Imperial equivalent in parentheses
immediately thereafter (or vice versa as appropriate).

Hypothetically speaking, however, I'd dispute Marley Brown's suggestion that
it will always be in the best interests of our future archaeologists to use
contemporary measurements for report writing.  It may be of technical
interest in professional reports for our archaeologists in 2402 to record
inches and ounces, but I very much doubt they'd do so in a popular report,
except to explain to our far-off descendants that their ancestors were
insane enough to use a system of measurement whereby 288 gallons = 144 pecks
= 36 bushels = 4.5 quarters.

Americans, metrication is patriotic and in the true Jeffersonian tradition!
Thanks to your Founding Fathers, you had a metric currency long before we
Whinging Poms/Limeys did.  Or perhaps you think it's more naturally
'intuitive' to struggle with pounds, shillings, and pence?   Erm, let's see,
1 pound equals 20 shillings, one shilling is 12 pence, and 1 pence is 4
farthings; meanwhile, a guinea is 21 shillings, a crown is 5 shillings, a
florin is 2 shillings, and a groat is four pence - you're still with me,
right?  So if I'm charged £5.10.6, and I have 6 guineas and 4 crowns in my
pocket, that means...  I'm confused?

No measurement is naturally more intuitive than another - 'intuitive' is
simply what you're taught as a child.

Alasdair

PS: I almost certainly won't read any responses to this - I'm leaving for
the USA tomorrow.  Gently argue with me in Providence instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Alasdair Brooks
Department of Archaeology
La Trobe University