HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kris Farmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 15:49:11 -0700
Histarch. . .

Thank you to the folks who responded to my aqua glass query.  I just
wanted to clarify what I was asking for. . .

I've recieved, off-list, a couple of treatises about the history of
bottle manufacture and instructions for dating bottles.  While the
thought behind these replies is certainly appreciated, I thought I'd
mention that, though I wouldn't call myself a bottle expert, I am
reasonably well-versed in the history of bottle manufacture, and in
dating bottles from historic sites.  The aim of my question was more
along the lines of "was aqua glass among the cheaper colors of glass,
and did it fall out of favor when bottle makers began adding manganese
to the mix as a clarifying agent?"  I do recall reading somewhere that
this was indeed the case.  Anyway, I should have phrased my question
better. . . my bad.

Thanks again to those who have responded!

Kris Farmen
Northern Land Use Research, Inc.
Fairbanks, Alaska