HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kris Farmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 14:12:25 -0700
Histarch. . .

A colleague and I were recently discussing the rainbow of different
bottle glass colors between the dates of 1870 and 1930.  I have it in my
head that light blue/green "aqua" glass was what you might call just
Basic Glass--what you'd get if you melted a handful of sand with lime
and soda, no additives.  Stemming from this, I also have it in my head
that  blue-green was the cheapest color of bottle glass to produce, and
that it was also relatively undesirable once the use of manganese as a
clarifying agent became commonplace.

This is a classic case of me not being able to remember where I read a
very specific piece of information. . . can anyone confirm or refute the
previous statement, maybe with some references?  Thanks!

Kris Farmen
Northern Land Use Research, Inc.
Fairbanks, Alaska