HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
David Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 14:44:09 -0500
Hi all,

Those across the pond may also want to check out the Glasgow Steel nail
Company, which also manufactures reproduction cut nails for restoration
(and EuroDisney's "Lost Mine" ride!!). Their URL is:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/glasgowsteelnail/

Tremont nail company's been around a long time (1819), and if you get out
to Wareham, Mass. you've got to take the tour! I've got a whole series of
those paper "history of cut nails in America" sample cards, and it's
interesting that many of the nails they manufacture differ slightly over
time, which will undoubtedly cause untold chaos and confusion to future
generations of archaeologists and architectural historians ;)

My wife finally surprised me with one of those fancy wooden Tremont sample
sets for my birthday last year, and I must confess, it does make my office
look spiffy!

Dave

P.S. Tremont bibliography:

Johnson, Ralph
1971    The Cut Nail: Emblem of Early Americana. Early American Life
2(3):14-17. (History of the Tremont Nail Factory, Mass.)

Knight, Donald P., Royal A. Stone, Maurice W. Williams, Arthur L. Wasserman
and Frank H. Wood
1922    Design of Combined Steam and Hydro-electric Power Plant for Tremont
Nail Company, Tremont, Massachusetts. Unpublished B.S. thesis,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering,
Cambridge.

Pfeiffer/R8/USDAFS@FSNOTES, Terrell
>                    04/26/02             Hope/R8/USDAFS@FSNOTES
>                    09:04 AM             cc:
>                                         Subject:     Tremont Nail Company
800-842-0560 - Shop
>                                         Online
>

>FYI  In case you need cut nails for restoration projects.
>

> http://www.tremontnail.com/catalog.htm

David Moyer, RPA
Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist
700 Clinton Street Building