HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:52:58 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I think very similar conflicts happened between English Heritage and
>police versus a variety of visitors to Stonehenge.  Christopher
>Chippindale's book *Stonehenge complete * discusses some of this sort of
>activity, and I think it was also covered in later publications by
>english Heritage.

Yes - I can dig out the references if anyone's interested (not just EH
versions, but popular press, etc - I don't collect this, but know people
who do).

Stonehenge an interesting parallel, because the conflicts of the early
80s have disappeared, but there are lots of new conflicts (and revivals
of others) concerning other aspects of access the site, the road, the
interpretation (not what's said, but how and where its said), and so on.

With best wishes to all,

Pat
(who always wondered why they didn't limit access to the summer solstice
by giving a ticket to anyone who bothered to turn up to winter solstice)
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)