From:
Coleene Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:56:20 -0800
WITH REFERENCE TO THE STATEMENT BELOW, I ATTENDED MICHIGAN STATE
UNIVERSITY'S BEEKEEPING PROGRAM LAST WEEK.  SMR QUEENS WERE DISCUSSED AS
PART OF AN IPM PROGRAM TO REDUCE CHEMICALS IN THE HIVE AND HELP WITH VARROA
CHEMICAL RESISTANCE.  ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH SMR QUEENS IS THEY ARE NOT
PROLIFIC.  THAT IS ONE TRAIT THAT IS CURRENTLY BEING WORKED ON.  SINCE
SUPPRESSION OF MITE REPRODUCTION(SMR) IS A SPECIFIC GENETIC TRAIT AND NOT A
STRAIN OF BEES, THE TRAIT CAN BE BREAD INTO OTHER STRAINS AND THERE BY
OVERCOMING THE PROBLEM WITH LOW BROOD NUMBERS, ACCORDING TO THE SPEAKER.

COLEENE

  "Seems to me that, some of them I have are way behind on brood
    and overall bee numbers this spring."