From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:28:35 -0700
> Regarding protein patties and medication, I recall your recipe, but
specifically regarding the medications, do you mix mediciations in the the
patties or medicate separately?

We don't use any medication in the protein patties.  I know of no completed
studies that relate to its effectiveness, although Beaverlodge is now doing
work to evaluate Tylosin in protein patties.

We use extender (grease) patties for oxytet once in the spring and have
found them very effective.

> I have colonies that are on their second patty (will stop after this as
fresh pollen is coming in on the warm days).

We feed protein even after the pollen starts coming in and try to time the
beginning to be no sooner than three weeks (one cycle) before reliable
pollen.

> ... a gallon of Fumidil-B medicated syrup (as recommended by Diana
Sammataro in her latest book)

We test to see if fumigillan is necessary before using it.  We almost never
have seen a need for it.  Locally, we are told that a drench of fumigillan
(one cup - normal mixture in syrup) on the cluster is as effective, and much
less costly.

> Label issues aside, I wonder if these medications could be incorporated
into a pollen (protein) patty.

They are working on it.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/